Chilangas, Ahogadas, Hawaiianas… There are lots of different kinds of tortas and every home/restaurant does them in their own way. Tortas de milanesa are easily my favorite. This recipe was mine. Now it’s yours. 😉
makes one amazing sandwich
1 Telera roll sliced horizontally (use a Po’ Boy or a Kaiser roll if you can’t find Teleras)
1-2 slices of Milanesa
2 ounces of sliced queso fresco
2 tablespoons refried beans (optional)
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of adobo from a can of chipotle chiles
A few sliced pickled peppers or Escabeche
A bit of onion, sliced thinly
Squeeze of fresh lime juice
Roma tomato, sliced
Salt and pepper if desired
A few slices of avocado
- In a pan over medium heat, toast both sides of the telera halves with a little cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add a little more cooking spray to the pan and warm the milanesa if needed. Set aside.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, add a little more cooking spray and the queso fresco slices. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Warm the optional refried beans, either in the same pan or the microwave. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the mayo and adobo until combined and get ready to build your torta.
- Spread the optional beans on the bottom half of the toasted telera. (or some of the chipotle mayo if you decide not to use beans.)
- Lay on the queso fresco.
- Add a few slices of pickled Jalapeños or carrots.
- Add a bit of onion.
- Milanesa next.
- Add the lettuce, squeeze of lime, Avocado, then tomato. Salt and pepper the tomato if desired.
- Spread chipotle mayo on the top bun and crown your glorious creation with it.
Serve. Take a quick photo for the ‘Gram. Eat.
Love this recipe?
Thank you for your support!