I’ve got sons. Sons who love meat and potatoes. They LURVE this meatloaf. Vegetables? Not so much. They don’t know my meatloaf is like 40 percent veg. Shhhhh!
3 lbs lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper or 4 sweet red peppers, chopped
4-5 large button mushrooms, chopped
1 cup spinach or arugula, you guessed it, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 cup bread crumbs or crushed saltine crackers
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
1/2 cup Ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
The key to getting this dish into a picky kid’s mouth is getting a good dice on your veg. If picky isn’t a problem, a rougher chop gives amazing texture and lightens the dish.
Preheat oven to 350º
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm the oil or butter
- Add the carrots and cook 5 minutes, stirring often
- Add the onion, peppers and celery, cook until lightly browned on the edges
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft
- Stir in the spinach or arugula and remove from heat
- Cool to room temperature
- Thoroughly combine the ketchup, brown sugar and onion in a small sauce pan
- Cook over low heat until the sauce becomes smooth and translucent
- In a large bowl, break the meat up to allow easier mixing
- Add the cooled vegetables, garlic, worcestershire, eggs, salt, pepper and bread crumbs.
- Mix until combined
- In a large roasting pan, form the meat and vegetable mixture into a 3 inch thick oval loaf shape. In warmer months, you may need to mix in more breadcrumbs a little at a time until the loaf shape holds.
- Cook 30 – 45 minutes or until the top starts to brown
- Spoon or brush on the glaze
- Cook an additional 15 -30 minutes until internal temperature reaches 150º
- Rest 10-15 minutes
Slice and serve with a little extra glaze.
Don’t tell my kids how much veg is in the meatloaf.
Seriously. I’m trusting you with my secret.
Love this recipe?
Thank you for your support!